[squeak-dev] Re: Why FFI is not included with latest squeak ?

dimitris chloupis thekilon at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 20 09:12:45 UTC 2012

WOW I only left for a day and the mailing list just exploded.

First I thank you all for your help and yes I am a big fan of Starship Troopers too, its sad that this greaty movie never got the sequel it deserved and still is so misunderstood.. The truth is that Native boost is very tempting for that precise reason, it allows you to stay in smalltalk and do your magic and never leave the comforts of the smalltalk debugger but is also tool that overall documentation is not much. Still I guess I can alway ask Igor and he can answer back and even contribute myself in documenting things. Whats funny is that if you ask here at mailing list you get a lot of useful answer but those answers dont make it back to documentaion. People are bored making documentation but cant resist answering in malling list with often extremely detailed helpful info as Davind's pst which I think should be included with Squeaks onboard documentation.

Saying that taking into considerina how non popular Squeak and Pharo are , documentation is not that bad actually.

On my project goals Ephestos, is to take advantage of pure object orientated approach of smalltalk nature to provide a framework of attaching flexible documentation to smalltalk objects so the user can ask a method or class or any object  "help" (ie UIManager help  . UIManager default ChooseDirectory help. etc)

Anyway after Igor's explanation I am certainly more inclined to use Nativeboost but will certainly would like to test Vm plugin creation. I certainly hope Nativeboost gets included with both Squeak and Pharo. If its really stable and reliable as Igor is claiming then I most certainly would like to help documenting it in time when I get more experience with it.

I did find great introduction to Nativeboost this presentation -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd6mz6F167s which is what introduced me to nativeboost.