[squeak-dev] More packages updated on SqueakMap for Squeak 4.4

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Dec 4 16:44:38 UTC 2012

On Mon, Dec 03, 2012 at 05:26:53PM -0600, Chris Muller wrote:
> > I have made 4.4 releases for these packages:
> >
> >   OSProcess
> >   CommandShell
> >   TwosComplement
> >   SystemTracing
> >   TimeZoneDatabase
>
> Great thanks Dave.  I will follow your lead soon and I hope others
> will too so that Squeak's app-store will have something in it for 4.4.
>
> > I also updated the VMMaker 'head' release to claim compatability with
> > Squeak 4.4. I do not intend to make a VMMaker release for Squeak 4.4,
> > because I would expect users to either be using the latest versions updated
> > from various repositories, or alternatively to be using some known version
> > of the sources obtained from squeakvm.org.
>
> But this invites the bit-rot problem.  Something will change with
> VMMaker to keep up with 4.5 that will break it with 4.4.  The time to
> easily know and document what versions will forever work with 4.4 is
> now.  Won't you please make a '4.4' release of VMMaker with hard-coded
> version numbers?

I'll take a look at it when I get some free time. VMMaker is a bit complicated
in that it pulls code in from a lot of repositories, and also has a direct
dependency on the platforms sources maintained elsewhere. That means that
a non-head version of VMMaker is going to go stale with respect to the
platforms sources regardless of what is happening in the base image. So
no promises but I'll see if I can make sense of it.

BTW, I understand your point, but I can personally guarantee that
something will *not* change with VMMaker to keep up with 4.5 that will
break it with 4.4. I put a good deal of effort into ensuring that this
is the case :)

> I made doing this easier than eating pie.  Just select the "update
> with loaded versions" menu item at the bottom of the menu for the
> '4.3' release.  Then save it as a '4.4' release.  (see
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6180 for a screenshot).

Cool, I'll try this next time, sorry I did not notice it. But I'm the guy
who gets confused looking for the "Any" key, so some of this stuff gets
right by me ;)

Thanks,
Dave