Andreas filedOut an instance? ( was Re: [squeak-dev] Proposed 4.4 Changelog)

Bob Arning arning315 at comcast.net
Wed Dec 5 17:55:22 UTC 2012

On 12/5/12 12:35 PM, Chris Cunnington wrote:
> On 2012-12-05 11:41 AM, Bob Arning wrote:
>> Something like
>> =====================
>> TheWorldMainDockingBar compile: 'welcomeWhatever
>>
>> ^',(self contents printStringLimitedTo: 100000),'  readStream
>> nextChunkText'
>> =======================
>>
>> where self is your WriteStream
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Bob

>>> Right. I now have a Workspace with the changelog all nicely marked up.
>>> I need to turn that into something I can put in the ReleaseBuilder. I
>>> thought I could just explore my way to the Text instance with my
>>> stuff, and do something like (WriteStream on: String new)
>>> nextChunkPutWithStyle: self). Which is fine, but I need to turn that
>>> into something like TheWorldMainDockingBar >> #welcomeToSqueak43. What
>>> am I missing?
>>>
>>> frank
>>>

> I think Frank is asking for help about a question I couldn't answer.
> It's weird, because I found some solution to this when I released 4.3.
> The question might be phrased: how do you file out an instance?
>
> Andreas did something, and it's baffling. If you go to
> TheWorldMainDockingBar>>#welcomeToSqueak43
> you see the text of the docking bar menu selection
> Help>>WelcomeWorkspaces>>WelcomeToSqueak4.3. But here's the twist, it
> contains the styles at the bottom:
>
> 'Morphic
> - SMxMorphicProject now able to host a SimpleMorphic World
> - when present a SMxMorphicProject is made available in the World menu
> !
> ]style[(24 75 10 48 9 34 18 152 4 69 14 667 8 120 1 1 7
> 131)FBitstreamVeraSans#20.0,,bu,,bu,,bu,,bu,,bu,,bu,,bu,,bu,!'
> readStream nextChunkText
>

> This string fed to TheWorldMainDockingBar spits out a fully formatted
> Workspace.
>
> TheWorldMainDockingBar instance
>         showWelcomeText: #welcomeToSqueak43
>         label: 'Welcome to Squeak 4.3'
>         in: (200 @ 200 extent: 500 @ 300)
>
> By hand, Frank has crafted a Welcome workspace with the underlines,
> bold, and fonts to his taste. Now he wants to know what to do to
> produce a string that can be saved as a method.
I think this does it:
=====================
TheWorldMainDockingBar compile: 'welcomeWhatever

^',(((WriteStream on: String new) nextChunkPutWithStyle: aText) contents
printStringLimitedTo: 100000),'  readStream nextChunkText'

when aText is the Text with your pretty text, you get:
welcomeWhatever

^'Bob is bold!
]style[(3 8)f5b,f1!'  readStream nextChunkText

compiled into TheWorldMainDockingBar.

Cheers,
Bob