Andreas filedOut an instance? ( was Re: [squeak-dev] Proposed 4.4 Changelog)

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 10:33:33 UTC 2012

On 6 December 2012 10:03, Andreas.Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
> Chris Cunnington wrote
>> This string fed to TheWorldMainDockingBar spits out a fully formatted
>> Workspace.
>>
>> TheWorldMainDockingBar instance
>>          showWelcomeText: #welcomeToSqueak43
>>          label: 'Welcome to Squeak 4.3'
>>          in: (200 @ 200 extent: 500 @ 300)
>>
>> By hand, Frank has crafted a Welcome workspace with the underlines,
>> bold, and fonts to his taste. Now he wants to know what to do to produce
>> a string that can be saved as a method.
>
> Just accept the text? Have you tried this? Because if you look at
> #showWelcomeText:label:in: in my Squeak (4.4-12292) it says:
>
>         "Change the following to allow editing the text"
>         true ifTrue:[
>
> In other words, editing is enabled. If it's disabled for you you might want
> to change this line. Then just edit away and accept.

As I mentioned to Bert, the key in all this is that "just accept it"
works if the Workspace's acceptAction is set to something special.
This is highly non-obvious to someone like myself (or presumable Chris
Cunnington), who lack the in-depth experience you and Bert share.

So in particular, I've solved the problem. We'll use #welcomeToSqueak
as the basis for the welcome text, rather than the version-specific
#welcomeToSqueak43, so that for the next release it _will_ be as
simple as "open the welcome Workspace, edit it, and accept". And I've
added an item to the 4.5 wishlist (wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6189) to
pull this out of Morphic: it seems silly to have to touch Morphic at
all to update a new version of Squeak.

frank