[squeak-dev] Re: squeak.org

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Dec 7 18:16:24 UTC 2012

On 07-12-2012, at 2:37 AM, Geert Claes <geert.wl.claes at gmail.com> wrote:
> My 2 cents: the younger generation may not make the connection that "Mailing
> Lists" are where you can go and find the answer to questions one may have as
> they are used to discuss in online "Forums" rather than via email.
>
> ps. there are sub-domains for the Smalltalk Distributions so you could point
> to squeak.forum.world.st (or gemstone.forum.world.st or
> cincom.forum.world.st or ...) to get straight to the Squeak specific forums.

Even though I don't much like web forum versions of mailing lists, this is a good point. Pointing to squeak.forum.world.st would be a smart move. Perhaps go so far as to rename the 'mailing lists' item as 'Forums' and make a very simple page that explains the possibility of using either format and then all the options. If possible make sure that *all* the assorted mailing lists are represented on the forum; diversity is a good thing but not so much if it causes insularity.

How about (making big assumptions about the implementability of this) a Forums page with the squeak.forum.world.st page embedded under an explanation something like:-

We run a variety of forums about Squeak, ranging from guidance for beginners to the workings of VM builders and pretty much everything between. All of them are also available as subscribable mailing lists; if you prefer that format go to LINK to subscribe.

tim
Useful random insult:- One of the early failures of electroshock therapy.