[squeak-dev] NetNameResolver localHostAddress bug in trunk

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Dec 18 01:58:16 UTC 2012

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 01:15:12PM -0500, David T. Lewis wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 02:59:23PM +0000, Frank Shearar wrote:
> > On 17 December 2012 14:12, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Setting useOldNetwork to true will cause IPv6 support to be disabled. Too
> > > many double negatives I suppose ;)
> >
> > That makes sense, but I'm still confused, because both my little
> > release script and ReleaseBuilder-fbs.85 set useOldNetwork to true.
> >
> > But NetNameResolver class >> #initiaize has "Smalltalk
> > addToStartUpList: self", so could actually set useOldNetwork BACK to
> > false even though the image was saved with value true?
>
> Yes that might be what is happening. And/or it may be that the preference
> needs to be initialized. I am away now but will try to have a look at it
> again later today.

Frank, I really have to apologize - I gave you a bunch of wrong information.

You were correct all along to do "NetNameResolver enableIPv6: false". This
sets the current value of the pragma preference for "Enable IPv6 and new
network support". So setting this to false in ReleaseBuilder is the right
thing to do.

Contrary to what I said earlier, setting "NetNameResolver useOldNetwork: true"
does *not* disable IPv6 permanently. It is a temporary flag that will be
reset at image startup time based on the setting of the enableIPv6 preference,
and also based on whether the VM provides the new IPv6 primitives, which
is checked at image startup time.

I do not see anywhere that NetNameResolver class>>initialize would be
sent in normal use, so I do not think that is the problem.

Bottom line: If you can do "NetNameResolver enableIPv6: false" prior to
saving the image, this *should* set the preference correctly and it *should*
cause the image to be restarted in the correct state regardless of VM.

I really apologize for the (my) confusion. Next time you publish the
release candidate, please do the "NetNameResolver enableIPv6: false"
exactly as you had originally intended, and let's see if it comes out
right this time around.

Dave