[squeak-dev] Re: CI as debugging aid?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Dec 19 17:56:03 UTC 2012

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 01:21:31PM +0000, Frank Shearar wrote:
> It just occurred to me that we could possibly use CI jobs as a means
> of debugging naughty plugins.
>
> Recall that we had LargePositiveInteger test failures crashing the VM
> (http://squeakci.org/job/SqueakTrunk/67/console for instance)?
>
> If we ran a full test suite on a VM with debugging support, we could
> gain some insight into this particular, intermittent, problem.
>
> Once 4.4's out the door, we'd just need to get our hands on a
> debugging VM. If Eliot built one as part of his usual publishing
> routine, we could just use that... *cough*.

If you are thinking of the assert-enabled Cog that Eliot describes here:

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2012-December/166750.html

You can probably just use the one that Eliot provided.

I expect that this is just a matter of setting a couple of flags in the
configuration step of building Cog, so you (we) can probably do this
easily on the squeakci.org server to make your own debugging VM. We'll
need to confirm which flags to set of course.

I'm not sure how useful this would be, but it can't hurt to try it.

Next April 1, I think I'll release my SUnit enhancements to provide
support for "self shouldnt: #crash" in unit tests ;-)

Dave