[squeak-dev] Release candidate Squeak4.4-12319 Test Results Cog OSX

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 21:36:09 UTC 2012

On 19 December 2012 21:15, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
>> How exactly do you run the tests? Download image, fire it up, open
>> TestRunner, run tests... and nothing else?
>
> Go to Help | About this System and then select the "SUnit" category.
>
>> When you run the tests, I'll bet
>> MCMethodDefinitionTest>>testLoadAndUnload brings up a FITBM asking for
>> initials, and that breaks all these tests.
>
> Why do you say that's breaking the tests?  If you "Do It" on one of
> the failed MC tests it opens the debugger showing the failed assertion
> even though initials have already been set.

If the author initials aren't set, you get a FITBM asking for it. The
proper cleanup and restoration of MC's test state will thus not
happen. In particular, MCMockClassA does not get its #one method back,
which later tests expect.

> These tests weren't failing in 4.3 anyone know what happened?

People usually don't run tests without author initials? Certainly
these tests have ALWAYS passed on CI, but CI sets the author initials.

I have yet to see evidence to contradict my hypothesis.

>> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7700 will fix this, when it's done.
>
> The way to handle this is for the "automation" (i.e., CI or whatever)
> to handle the appropriate UIManager notification (sorry can't remember
> what its called at the moment).

You can supply answers to the UIManager queries. One hacky way to
solve 7700 is to set the initials if not set, and restore them after
the test. Or one could use a dynamic variable, or wrap the #perform:
that runs the test with these answering things, or something else.

At any rate, unless someone can come up with an alternative
hypothesis, or a way to falsify mine, I don't think this is reason to
delay 4.4's release.

frank