[squeak-dev] isThisEverCalled (was: RC-3 ready)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Dec 19 22:43:43 UTC 2012

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 12:17:19PM -0500, Colin Putney wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 7:39 PM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 06:03:38PM -0600, Chris Muller wrote:
> > >
> > > Yesterday in the board meeting there was a question about whether
> > > there are any "end users" who use Squeak or is it just all developers.
> >
> > I am an end user :)
> >

> Interesting. What do you use Squeak for?

I use Squeak for all sorts of things that used to require applications.
Writing notes, calculating my income taxes, you name it. It took me some
time to get comfortable with Smalltalk, but I rarely open a spreadsheet any
more. It's just easier to do things in Squeak. I also use Squeak for the
fun of it. I don't watch TV or play video games, but I enjoy working on
things in Squeak just to pass the time.

I do not use Squeak for anything related to my day job, and I do not do
Squeak work for money, so I guess that too makes me a "user".

One of the things that I like about Squeak is that I do not feel like
there is a distinction between users and developers. I am a user who
figured out how to be a developer, but I prefer not to think in terms of
those categories.

Dave