[squeak-dev] Squeaksource, Squeak and Pharo..

Benoit St-Jean bstjean at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 20 17:25:55 UTC 2012

How useful...  This is the kind of stuff that makes me wanna shout!

<complaint>

I just installed Squeak 4.3 to migrate some code I had on an older Squeak 4.x image...

Loaded some of the tools I use, like ScriptManager to realize... That the newest versions are for Pharo! With references to stuff that doesn't exist in Squeak.

In other words, the more commits to existing project in Squeaksource (or anywhere else where the code used to be "Squeak friendly" and/or developed for Squeak in the first place) the Pharo people do, the less and less those projects will work with Squeak!

It's just as if Volkswagen would take over the manufacturing of parts for Honda and would adapt all parts for THEIR engines...  If I have a Honda, what can I do?  :(

With Pharo moving away from Squeak (and most other Smalltalks in fact), if we don't find a way to clearly split what is "Pharo friendly" from what is "Squeak friendly" (I resisted using the word "compatible"), where are we heading ???

</complaint>

P.S.  This is going to be a nightmare if we don't act before the Pharo people have "adapted" tons of stuff to *their* environment...

Benoit St-Jean
Yahoo! Messenger: bstjean
A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero.
(Albert Einstein)