[squeak-dev] Squeaksource, Squeak and Pharo..

Benoit St-Jean bstjean at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 20 19:40:58 UTC 2012

Hi Colin,

Yeah, your idea makes sense, somehow...  But adding a layer, when it's clear that Pharo is deconstructing the "Squeak base" (its ancestor) piece by piece will make it hard.  At the rate at which they are deleting "squeak stuff" in the Pharo image, we'll all spend our time coding for this "compatibility/portability" layer.  Besides, can you imagine the mess that will result for projects that are cross dialect and that are already providing compatibility layers (Glorp, Seaside, etc) ???  Two layers of compatibility, really ???

To paraphrase Fleetwood Mac, "you can go your own way" I'd tell the Pharo people.  I find it funny that Squeak's child (Pharo) is farther away from Squeak than VisualWorks can be these days...

Benoit St-Jean
Yahoo! Messenger: bstjean
A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero.
(Albert Einstein)