[squeak-dev] Squeaksource, Squeak and Pharo..

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 23:10:39 UTC 2012

On 20 December 2012 20:28, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 20 December 2012 19:23, Benoit St-Jean <bstjean at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> FYI, I did post my remarks/concerns on the Squeak and Pharo mailing lists
>> regarding this subject a year ago but it just seems like nobody read or did
>> care.
>>
>> Secondly, as I said, a year ago, we should definitely have *separate* code
>> repositories for Squeak and Pharo.  I just closed Squeak 30 seconds ago,
>> being totally fed up with packages that wouldn't load...  Right now, both
>> environments are polluting the code of the other and it's nonsense...  You
>> know the kind of horror story where version 7 (Squeak) fixes version 6
>> (Pharo) that now became version 8 (Pharo again) but that will be fixed as a
>> combo of version 6 and 8 for Squeak?
>>
>> Can't we have something simple like the Cincom Public Repository ???
>>
>> Could you commit Ruby code to the CRAN (Comprehensive R Arcive Network) ?
>> No!  You know why?  Those are 2 different beasts, just like Squeak and
>> Pharo.  And seeing at which speed Pharo is moving away from "standard" (for
>> lack of a better word) Smalltalk, this "problem will happen more and more
>> and more.
>>
>> How useful is Squeak if all the code available is slowly becoming
>> "Pharo-only friendly" ?
>>
>> In other words, we should setup our *own* SQUEAK ONLY repository, make sure
>> people set a "platform target" (say Squeak 4.4 or 4.3) for migration (and
>> tell the project owners that they should make an effort to port their code
>> to Squeak 4.x) and start from there...
>
> No. That would be suicide.
>
> What we _should_ be doing is _talking_ to people. Keep the lines of
> communication open. The Pharo folk are not monsters. They do not break
> things to spite the Squeak community. And given sufficient reason and
> volunteered effort, they're more than happy to work towards making
> things cross platform.

Right said.
I cannot say anything about ScriptManager.. because i dont remember if
i ever used it neither i know
who is developing it or maintaining it.
Perhaps it would be wiser to contact with author(s) and ask them, if
their drop of Squeak
support was intentional or not and then decide what to do next.
Shouting doesn't helps.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.