[squeak-dev] SqueakMap is supported

David Corking lists at dcorking.com
Fri Dec 21 12:44:39 UTC 2012

I am delighted by these developments and I have to admit that until
the recent threads, I hadn't noticed that SM got a new UI, and
excellent new docs on the swiki.

It might me just be my lack of experience, as I have only written
small Smalltalk programs. However my first impression is that
SqueakMap documentation could do with a little more editing. I feel
that if I was to write or adopt a program suitable for SM, as I would
like to do, that I would have to invest some time and trial and error
following the hyperlinks to reconcile different threads of
documentation. I would also be afraid of making mistakes and _adding_
to the bit rot problem. Here are my naive suggestions which I regret I
am unable to write myself. In order of usefulness IMHO.

(1) Merge the significant content from the following 3 pages such that
a new publisher would have a step by step guide:
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6181 "How to create a new SqueakMap Release"
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6182 "SqueakMap Publishing Guidelines"
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/779 "FAQ: Squeak Packages"

(2) Choose a canonical example of a real supported project and include
step by step code snippets and screenshots throughout.

(3) Add a page with a suggestion or two for scripting the load of
non-source-code resources, such as image segments (.pr files) (For
large binaries like videos or WAVs, that might be handier than
ASCII-fying them and putting them in Monticello sources.)

(4) A suggestion or two for publishing a project whose canonical
sources (or the sources of a dependency) are outside the traditional
Squeak infrastructure and are found instead in Filetree / Github /
Google Code / Smalltalkhub etc.

(5) Links to good tutorials on scripting with Configurations etc.

I have always loved SqueakMap as an end user. Until now I considered
the link rot and bit rot to be inevitable consequence of the highly
creativity yet small size of the community, so I am hopeful about the
recent steps to tackle bit rot.

Hope that helps. David

p.s. Would it be right to say that SqueakMap is to Monticello as BSD
Ports is to Subversion ?

p.p.s. re. Goran. SqueakMap has a source code cache? Wow, that is
fantastic, and it works! That needs a UI soon (if it doesn't have one
already!)