[squeak-dev] Release candidate Squeak4.4-12320 ready

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Dec 23 20:23:39 UTC 2012

On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 11:33:11AM -0800, tim Rowledge wrote:

> On 23-12-2012, at 11:15 AM, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 22 December 2012 23:36, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> >>
> >> We're talking about _where_ the window opens.
> >
> > OK. I suspect the reason I've not noticed anything like that is
> > because I'm running 1024x768 on a Lucid box. The window opens rather
> > close to the top left, pretty much where I'd expect it to. I just
> > opened a TrunkImage.image on a Mac and it looks like it opens it right
> > in the centre of the screen. Is that what you see?
>

> Last I recall there was no info in the image header to specify where the main squeak window would open and it was a platform decision at start time. Now, with the Ffenestri stuff in proper use one could revise that by allowing the image code to specify where the first window opens, with appropriate policy objects to discover the screen size and look at OS preferences etc.

Right, window size is stored in the header, but not window location.

For verification, load package 'ImageFormat' from SqueakMap, then do this:

  | fs |
  fs := (FileStream readOnlyFileNamed: Smalltalk imageName) binary.
  ([ImageFileHeader readFrom: fs] ensure: [fs close]) explore

This will show the contents of an image file header. It's handy as a memory jogger.

There is also CogImageFileHeader, which displays header fields relevant to Cog but
ignored by the interpreter VM:

  | fs |
  fs := (FileStream readOnlyFileNamed: Smalltalk imageName) binary.
  ([CogImageFileHeader readFrom: fs] ensure: [fs close]) explore

> Are non-RISC OS vm *still* opening a main window by default?

Yes.

> I hope not. It's a stupid thing to do; no window should even created until (and unless!) some displaying to Display (or suitable other object) is done.

You're right. Somebody should do something about that ;-)

Dave