[squeak-dev] Re: New release candidate: 4.4-12324

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Dec 28 17:48:33 UTC 2012

On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 11:34:32AM +0000, Frank Shearar wrote:
> On 27 December 2012 11:00, H. Hirzel <hannes.hirzel at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Frank,
> >
> > where can I have a look at the build script?
> >
> > And the console output is not very talkative....
> >
> > http://squeakci.org/job/ReleaseSqueakTrunk/17/console
>
> * https://github.com/frankshearar/squeak-ci/blob/download-vms/release.sh
> * https://github.com/frankshearar/squeak-ci/blob/download-vms/release.st
>
> No, the scripts are not talkative at all. I'm really not sure how to
> make them more talkative. Obviously in the shell scripts you can use
> echo, but those do hardly anything. Really what I want is something
> that writes to the Transcript when headful and to stdout/stderr when
> headless. I don't think we have such a thing at the moment.

Try something like this in your Smalltalk scripts:

  "Define a block to take a single string parameter and write a message
  to both the console stdout and to the Transcript"
  log := [:msg | | str |
  	str := DateAndTime now printString, ': ', msg.
  	FileStream stdout nextPutAll: str; nextPut: Character lf; flush.
  	Transcript cr; show: str].

  "Then sprinkle the rest of your script with things like this"
  log value: 'Begin loading my package from SqueakSource'.

  log value: 'My package is loaded now'.

Dave