Proposal for SqueakCore 4.5 (was Re: [squeak-dev] Re: New release candidate: 4.4-12324)

Pavel Krivanek squeak1 at continentalbrno.cz
Sat Dec 29 12:57:50 UTC 2012

Hi Colin,

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 4:28 PM, Colin Putney <colin at wiresong.com> wrote:
> Hi Pavel!
>
> On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 7:58 AM, Pavel Krivanek
> <squeak1 at continentalbrno.cz> wrote:
>
>> Should Squeak be based on Pharo Kernel and basic packages? There were
>> several discussions on this topic. Technically it is doable but it is
>> politically impassable.
>
> Sure, technically doable. Politically, it clashes with the goal of
> having a kernel image based on Spoon, which has been the long-term
> plan for Squeak.
>
>> Should Squeak have own Squeak minimal image? How to reach that?
>> Firstly I must say that Squeak Board should anwer this. You and Hannes
>> are not members of the Board.
>
> Well, the Board generally tries to avoid making technical/aspirational
> decisions of this nature. This is for the community at large to
> decide. In practice, that means if there are no strenuous objections
> and if somebody is willing to do the work, the project can go forward.
>
> I can also say that the Board regularly discusses modularity and
> various options for reducing he size of the core image, so I doubt
> there will be any objections.
>
>> I'm ready to help you with several simple conditions: The image will
>> be official - the next release will simply be this minimal image +
>> packages, the "full" image will always be produced from the minimal
>> image by the build server, the patches will be reviewed by two other
>> persons and integrated quickly. I simply do not want to work on a
>> project with uncertain future. Because from my point of view it is
>> redoing of the same work that I did several times and to look into
>> Squeak is like to look into the past from the remodularization
>> perspective.
>
> Well, as a volunteer for the 4.5 release team, I'd be happy to accept
> your help, and commit to releasing a core image + an
> automatically-built full image. This has long been a goal of the
> Squeak community, we just make slower progress because we're not
> willing to break existing functionality in Morphic and Etoys.
>
> Thanks for speaking up Pavel, it's good to see you on squeak-dev again!

Well, some important preparation steps need to be done, firstly
improve packages granularity:
- remove empty MC packages (FlexibleVocabularies, Squeak-Version),
code to get them:

MCWorkingCopy allInstances select: [:wc | wc package snapshot
definitions isEmpty]

- split System package to packages corresponding to its categories
(System-Applications, System-Change Notification, System-Changes...)
and unregister System package
- split Multilingual package to packages corresponding to its
categories and unregister Multilingual package

Can you do that?
-- Pavel