Proposal for SqueakCore 4.5 (was Re: [squeak-dev] Re: New release candidate: 4.4-12324)

Pavel Krivanek squeak1 at continentalbrno.cz
Sat Dec 29 17:08:58 UTC 2012

On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 2:48 PM, Colin Putney <colin at wiresong.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 7:57 AM, Pavel Krivanek
> <squeak1 at continentalbrno.cz> wrote:
>
>> Well, some important preparation steps need to be done, firstly
>> improve packages granularity:
>> - remove empty MC packages (FlexibleVocabularies, Squeak-Version),
>> code to get them:
>>
>> MCWorkingCopy allInstances select: [:wc | wc package snapshot
>> definitions isEmpty]
>>
>> - split System package to packages corresponding to its categories
>> (System-Applications, System-Change Notification, System-Changes...)
>> and unregister System package
>> - split Multilingual package to packages corresponding to its
>> categories and unregister Multilingual package
>>
>> Can you do that?
>
> Sure. But let's wait until 4.4 is released and the trunk is switched
> over to 4.5 alpha.

ok, it is not a problem until we will want to try to load things back
to the core.

> In the meantime, can you describe your overall plan?

The overall plan is the same as in case of Pharo:
- take full image and unload all packages that are not essential for
the system including Monticello and network support, generate headless
image without GUI that can can process incoming scripts
- clean obsolete classes and undeclared in this image to have
reasonably clean image
- load network, monticello and possibly metacello to this image
- load and initialize the rest of the system using monticello, create
metacello configuration for it
- repackage tests
- ensure this shrinking - reloading process is repeatable
- declare updatable image with metacello as the base image
- continue in remodularization

Cheers,
-- Pavel