[squeak-dev] Xtreams question - OC of chars to String

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 17:30:18 UTC 2012

I have a question about converting an OrderedCollection full of chars
into a string. [1]

I would have thought there was a method like #asString that could be
sent to an OrderedCollection to produce a string. I find myself having
to do the process in three steps: 1) #reading the OC; 2) creating an
empty string; and then, 3) iterating over every char to put it into the
String.

I think I'm missing a simpler way. Especially with Xtreams. Shouldn't I
just use a filter, change the #contentSpecies, or something?

Chris

[1]

startTag: data
     <action: 'element'>
     |tagdata str |
     tagdata := data second first reading.
     str := (String new: 20) writing.
     tagdata do: [:each| str put: each].
     ^'html ' , (data first second first asString) , $: , $' , (str
close; terminal) , $'