[squeak-dev] Re: [Newbies] Two questions about Smalltalk language design

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 09:09:49 UTC 2012

On 31 December 2012 05:13, Casey Ransberger <casey.obrien.r at gmail.com> wrote:
> Worth pointing out (at least I *think*) there's little real value in returning nil by default, even though it makes a certain amount of visceral sense.
>
> Why would I return nil? Maybe as a sentinel value for something (often I prefer nil to zero for that when there's a nil concept and I want a sentinel.)

The problem with nil as a sentinel is that it's not sufficiently
different from the other things in one's collection. I recall the
troubles people had trying to store nils in a Set (which used nil for
some special purpose). But there's a trivial way to get a really true
blue unique sentinel: sentinel := Object new.

> Likewise, there's an argument for returning the last value of a method (like we do with blocks presently, and Self does everywhere) across the board, like e.g. Ruby does, but I'd note: Smalltalk's semantics had a lot of time to evolve. The advantages to answering self by default have stood the test of time in this context, I think:) though that certainly doesn't mean we shouldn't continue to ask questions and look for a better idea.

Certainly, if you didn't return self by default you'd lose the trivial
cascading. (Look at the hoops others have to jump through to get their
"fluent" APIs.)

Given my particular interest in the intersection between the
techniques of functional and OO programming I rarely use "return self
by default". I instead get tripped up by forgetting to use a ^ on the
last statement. But I'm not going to suggest we change the return-self
behaviour :)

frank