[squeak-dev] Fwd: [vwnc] Smalltalk for small projects only?

James Robertson jarober at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 04:34:58 UTC 2012

Interestingly enough, I worked on a telecom billing system with more than 100 Smalltalk developers back in the mid 90's.  As you might expect, the problems we ran into had:

-- nothing to do with Smalltalk
-- nothing to do with the SCM tools (Envy, at the time)

-- Everything to do with process.

At that same telecom outfit, they tried migrating from Smalltalk to Java at least 3 times over the course of the next decade, and they failed each time.  Why?  Because with Smalltalk, the process didn't quite kill off all forward progress (it came close, but never got there).  Using a less productive tool (and Java in the mid 90's was a less productive one), they failed - <due to their processes>

While tools in general have improved, staff politics haven't moved much.  Show me a 200 person project, and I'd bet very good money that I'll see a death march failing ugly due to nasty politics and a stifling process.

James Robertson
http://www.jarober.com
jarober at gmail.com