[squeak-dev] Re: How to have a fast and usable Date? (was: new Bug in Locale)

Yanni Chiu yanni at rogers.com
Thu Feb 2 19:50:56 UTC 2012

On 02/02/12 11:25 AM, Chris Muller wrote:

> Best to strip all Dates (NOT DateAndTimes) of their timezone.

IMHO, there are two different concepts getting mixed up.

1) There is a "date", which has a day, month and year (and calendar). If
you're modeling dates to be printed on a 12-month calendar that can be
used anywhere in the world, then this is the kind of date you want.

2) There is the 24hr period (sometimes 23hr or 25hr) which corresponds
to that "date". This 24hr period is timezone dependent. If you're making
a scheduling application, then this is the kind of date you need.

So, i agree: remove timezone from Date.

> I propose Date's, by default, be created with the UTC offset, NOT the
> local offset.

Disagree. The natural default for today, is the date in my local
timezone. Maybe #todayUTC should be introduced. Then why not add
#todayInTimezone: too. Hmm...timezones seem to be creeping back in.