[squeak-dev] Smalltalk for small projects only?

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Mon Feb 6 09:29:08 UTC 2012

On 01/29/2012 09:21 PM, David Corking wrote:
> Hans-Martin Mosner wrote:
>> What were the actual reasons for DabbleDB to go under ...?
>
> DabbleDB didn't go under. It was purchased by Twitter, who moved it to
> San Francisco, in order for Twitter to make use of its Smalltalk
> expertise and the Trendly product.

Mmm, my impression is rather that Twitter buys small talented companies
simply because it is easier to find really good people that way instead
of hiring (if you have loads of money to spend). They have done it
before, and they probably told the Smallthought guys that they didn't
want them to be distracted by their old stuff - thus "shutdown".

> The question is merely: why did Twitter choose to close down the
> DabbleDB product (rather than sell the business or recruit a
> maintenance staff)?(*)

Simplest path. All other paths take money, time, legal to be involved,
etc etc.

> Another useful question: what is Twitter doing successfully with
> Smalltalk that helps to change the world?

No idea, but I did recently note that Avi is not there anymore ;)

regards, Göran