[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Kernel-cmm.669.mcz

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 23:43:11 UTC 2012

Thanks Enrico for this instructive and funny article.
I really doubt that so many airplanes are driven by NTP, except maybe
your home simulator, and even less so any TCAS.
And I agree with first comment of this post, if leap second would be
handled just like another localOffset, coding would be much much
simpler, because it is already supposed to deal with DST. Then OS
vendors would just have to routinely update the offset tables, like
they do when some countries change the law (the main reason why I'm
not fond of duplicating this administration in image).
Until nuclear plants are driven by Squeak and NTP, I suggest to not
bother, a pause of 1 second is just a medium garbage collect anyway ;)
One last, thing, isn't it a clock synchronization problem that made
Einstein invent his theory of relativity? Funny that I don't see a
word about it, either every one consider the problem is solved, or
they just forgot about it. Good luck though for the definition of
inter-galactic "true universal time" found in the wish list among
comments ;) Especially a coordinated one, no matter some galaxy may
suffer from a few million years delay before they are informed of any
leap adjustment bound to latest estimation of universe spreading ;)

Nicolas