[squeak-dev] can this be done via modification to the Squeak/Pharo IDE?

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 17:09:56 UTC 2012

His presentation was impressive and refined, but he failed to mention
a _most dynamic_ way to develop ideas... By closing one's eyes and
simply imagining the possibilities without *any* burden of visible
code.  IOW, imagine without being constrained by the "how" or whether
its even possible.  THEN, note it down in words and try to implement
it with a dynamic system like what he showed.

To do that, his statement about a "direct connection" to the tools is
something I do agree with 100%.  A connection to the computing system
via the cerebellum rather than the cerebrum, so that the cerebrum is
free to focus on ideas rather than user-interface gestures.  This is
something that Squeak excels in, IMO.

His comment on modality really emphasizes this point, and something I
think folks even in this community could stand to listen:  when I
observe folks in their demo videos using Squeak or Pharo, almost every
time I see folks browsing in a modal way.  They have a big
Package-Pane browser open and they're looking at one package, one
class and one method at a time...  They have to do about 4-5 clicks to
"navigate" to a sent method, and 4-5 clicks to get back.  This is way
too slow for ideas to emerge.