[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Kernel-ul.664.mcz

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 17:04:12 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 6:53 AM, Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Jan 2012, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>
>  On Mon, 9 Jan 2012, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>>
>>> It's more important to be correct than to be fast - and I agree finding
>>> pointers is its main purpose, so your fix looks like an improvement.
>>>

>> Speaking of correctness: the pointer finder does not find an object that
>> is held only by a process. Can we fix this?

If you're saying how might we do this then it seems to me we can, either by
taking a snapshot of the runnable process at the start of pointer-finder,
or by treating Process instances specially, querying whether a process is
in the run-queue when it is encountered.

 Can provide an example?

Imagine I changed the background process to allocate some object in a
temporary and hold onto it.  The background process would be the only
referent of this object, and the only referent of the background process is
the run queue.

--
best,
Eliot