[squeak-dev] Smalltalk for small projects only?

James Robertson jarober at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 01:46:48 UTC 2012

Outside the micro-image, we use tools like that on the project I work on - I'll be talking about them at the STIC conference (and they are in the Cincom public Store right now, name BuilderBundle).

We start from visual.im

-- load Store tools
-- load application code
-- save development image
-- build runtime image, save it
-- compress the runtime (using VW tools)
-- run tests, report on results
-- copy all final files (dev image, runtimes, and reports) to a share drive location
-- send email to specified recipient as to build results

That whole process could run on an automated basis, but we still have some process hurdles sitting in front of that.  Bottom line though, getting a clean build out of this process has been working for us for months.  To be honest, the idea of a micro-image isn't all that interesting to me.  Unless you're building for embedded/mobile platforms, having a 20 MB deployment image is a non-issue, and the base image (visual.im above) is already in a known state.

James Robertson
http://www.jarober.com
jarober at gmail.com