[squeak-dev] All MVC image ( was Looking for Squeak-80)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Jul 6 20:45:36 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jul 06, 2012 at 10:12:23PM +0200, Stefan Marr wrote:
> Hi:
>
> On 06 Jul 2012, at 19:22, Sam Adams wrote:
>
> > Hi Chris,
> > We stripped down a Squeak image to its MVC roots for use in some of our research into massive multicore programming models.
> > I thought it was in the Squeak archives somewhere, but I'll be happy to provide you a copy via private email.
> >
> > Smalltalk-80 was (and is!) and amazing system.
> Just for reference, the image Sam talks about was made available as part of the original open sourcing effort for the RoarVM.
>
> It is about 1.7MB and can be downloaded at:
> https://github.com/downloads/smarr/RoarVM/minimal-MVC.zip
>
> The shrinking scripts that were applied to Squeak 3.7 (or 3.8, don't remember well) are still in the image.
>
> Best regards
> Stefan

MVC got somewhat broken in the 3.9 time frame, and this still needs to
be put right.  Once restored to health, it should be possible to make
Morphic unloadable and reloadable in the same way that MVC is currently
unloadable and reloadable.

The most immediate problem in MVC is the lack of sufficient ToolBuilder
support to provide a working debugger. I suspect that if the debugger
can be restored to health, the rest of the issues will be straightforward.

I think that the Squeak project structure is a wonderful thing, and it
would be good if we can bring it to the point where an image can host
any combination of Morphic, MVC or other project types, and where it
would be possible to easily strip down to just a single project type,
whether MVC, Morphic, Juan's SimpleMorphic, or some other type of
project not yet invented.

Dave