[squeak-dev] A plea for OSProcess on MS Windows

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Jul 11 13:04:42 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 01:23:04PM +0100, Shaun Johnson wrote:
> After lurking on the list for several years I finally have a project I
> want to use Squeak for. This requires the execution of operating
> system commands. I was surprised to find that the OSProcess plugin for
> MS Windows is not part of the 4.3 All-in-One download wheras the the
> Linus and MacOS plugins are included. I was unable to find any
> repository of pre-built plugins, is there any such thing?
>
> I finally overcame this problem by downloading the latest CogVM from
> http://www.mirandabanda.org/ which does include the plugin and am now
> happily proceeding with my project and with learning Squeak.
>
> However I would like to ask that the next release includes this, in my
> view, basic functionality for those of us stuck on MS Windows.

Hi Shaun,

The OSProcess plugin for Windows is rather limited in functionality, and
has not been included in standard Windows VM builds. In the last couple
of years, Eliot Miranda has made some improvements to it, and he now
includes this in his Cog VM builds (as you have discovered). It has been
a while since we have gotten a fresh Windows build for the standard VM
(the one in All-inOne), but whenever that next happens I'll see if I
get the OSProcess plugin included.

Thanks!
Dave