[squeak-dev] [Squeak 0007694]: Buggy drawing of text by Pen class under OSX

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 18:01:36 UTC 2012

2012/7/13 David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com>:
> On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 08:39:17AM +1000, Chris Wright wrote:
>> Hi folks
>>
>> I posted this bug on the Mantis system
>>
>> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7694
>>
>> and Ken Causey helpfully suggested that I might post it here:
>>
>> OSX 10.7.4
>> Squeak 3.4 update#11860 <http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=11860>
>>
>> Display restoreAfter:
>> [Pen new squareNib: 2; color: Color red; turn: 45;
>>         print: 'The owl and the pussycat went to sea in a beautiful pea
>> green boat.' withFont: TextStyle defaultFont]
>>
>> draws text at the correct angle, but the text is patterned
>> same for defaultNib:1
>>
>> screen shot at
>>
>> http://imgur.com/lK949
>>
>> any help appreciated!
>
> Chris,
>
> I added a note to the Mantis issue:
>
>   I tried this on Linux and get the same results, so it is not platform
>   dependent.  I also tried on an old Squeak 3.6 image (also on Linux),
>   and got similar results except that the default font is different, with
>   Squeak 3.6 using a StrikeFont(NewYork10 12) and Squeak trunk using a
>   StrikeFont(Bitmap DejaVu Sans 9 14). So I suspect that this is not so
>   much a bug as an existing limitation of the Pen class when drawing
>   these fonts.
>
> Dave

Yes, take a look at Pen>>print:withFont: , it naively iterate on the
rows of the source form and plot pen down each batch of pixels set to
1, up each batch of pixels set to 0.
This chance of producing artefact free drawing with an oblique angle
and such an algorithm is near to zero.
This is an intrinsic limitation of the method.
I don't see how the Pen could access the path defining the letter, as
long as Font architecture rely on simple and dumb bitmaps. So the
chances of seeing this method corrected in short term are also close
to zero.
Of course, we could use a third party renderer instead of trying to
fill the gap.

Nicolas