Softlayer spamming? Re: [squeak-dev] Squeak Oversight Board meeting - 7/16/12

Tom Rushworth tom.b.rushworth at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 16:20:32 UTC 2012

On 12/07/17 09:01, Chris Cunnington wrote:
> Wow. That is unpleasant.
>
> Certainly, that is something to be watched. If it happens a lot, then we
> will certainly have to consider things.
>
> I would point out that email was sent to an address at the Association
> For Computing Machinery. The ACM is a somewhat larger fish than Squeak.
> I'm inclined to say at this point that it's a coincidence.

Um, it wasn't who the target was that I found unpleasant, it was the
fact that they appear to use spamming as a marketing technique.

The acm.org address is not really relevant - it's a forwarding address I
use for most of my general mail, the squeak lists included.  The spam
could have been targeted at the squeak list or just sent to some random
spammers list, there's no way to tell unless we get more samples of the
email.

I don't know if anyone else got the email so I don't know how widespread
it was, and I don't even know if it was really from them, so I didn't
want to declare them guilty of spamming just yet.  If they ARE guilty of
spamming however, I suggest that nuking them from orbit would not be too
harsh a response :).

> Chris

Regards,

--