[squeak-dev] The Inbox: 39Deprecated-fbs.20.mcz

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 06:55:03 UTC 2012

On 25 July 2012 23:56, Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:
> The original idea was that SharedQueue2 will replace SharedQueue. The
> problem is that this didn't happen and SharedQueue only understands #flush
> and #flushAllSuchThat:, so removing these methods will not enable us to do
> the switch. The reason why it didn't happen yet is probably performance. In
> the meantime Igor made some other queues which don't use any synchronization
> primitives, so they are a lot faster than both SharedQueue and SharedQueue2
> for the basic operations. In theory Pharo uses one of those queues instead
> of SharedQueue in EventSensor (or it's replacement), though I'm not sure,
> since I didn't check it.
> Anyway, SharedQueue is a hack, SharedQueue2 is clean(er), but slow(er).

OK, so these two methods are there to support something we're trying
to lose anyway. So how about we ditch this changeset and, after 4.4's
out, we use Igor's implementation, and replace SharedQueue with that?
(After 4.4's release, because this sounds like an invasive change, and
I don't want that kind of thing landing just before a release!)

frank