[squeak-dev] Re: Squeak release process - CI server

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 14:17:29 UTC 2012

HDTestReport runPackages: #(
     'HelpSystem-Tests'
).
"Save and Quit"
WorldState addDeferredUIMessage: [
     SmalltalkImage current snapshot: true andQuit: true ].

or something more succinct:

HDTestReport runPackages: ((WADevelopment allPackages
select: [ :each | each name includesSubString: '-Tests-' ])
collect: [ :each | each name ]).

<the simple answer>
tests.st is in the FTP directory. It contains the content above. Add
test names as strings in the array like 'HelpSystem-Tests'. Or, iterate
over some packages for '-Tests-'
</the simple answer>

<longer explanation/probably a rant>
I don't think GitHub has anything to do with it. The Pharo Jenkins
server doesn't use it. That's just where Lukas decided to make his
scripts available.

https://github.com/renggli/builder/tree/master/scripts
https://github.com/renggli/builder/blob/master/build.sh

Lukas has a system with two parts: scripts; and, the build.sh shell
script. There are loads of scripts lying around on the Pharo Jenkins
server. They are attached and combined dynamically by a ~160 line shell
script called build.sh. So you'd write something like this:

build.sh -i Omnibrowser -i Greco -i Roman -i Etc

That collects a bunch of scripts. All of them look like the content
above: string names in an array. build.sh merges these scripts elegantly
into one single stream. There is no tangible difference between that and
having a file called tests.st where you cut and paste in the test names
as strings.

Is Lukas's system elegant? Yes. Do I want to wade through a ~160 shell
script to faithfully reproduce that? Let me put it this way: why would
anybody write a shell script over ~100 lines? Even if it was an init
script? It seems to me build.sh could have been written in another
scripting language and been  both shorter and easier to comprehend for
the next guy who came along. It's not 1983.
</longer explanation/probably a rant>

Chris

"I don't think you can do that via the Jenkins web UI. Putting the
scripts on github like Lukas did makes contributing convenient. Then you
can have a really simple Jenkins job that just downloads the scripts and
runs one."

This is interesting, but I don't think it works that way. If I
understand what you're saying, build.sh would pull down scripts from
Github. I don't think that's even possible. Why does Github use SSL?
To password protect scripts it gives away for free? I don't think so.
Only humans can download content from Github. Try putting a picture gif
on Github and then link to it from the webpage you're building. Github
uses SSL to enforce an interface. They don't want people linking to its
resources. Pharo Jenkins has all the scripts locally in a directory
somewhere. I don't think you can clone individual files on demand
programmaticlly. I'm willing to be wrong, but I feel confident that
things are as I just described.