[squeak-dev] Cannot store into ReadOnlyBinding?

Colin Putney colin at wiresong.com
Sat Jul 28 18:55:44 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
> I need to be able to substitute the value of a Binding.  Did
> Environments change this?  What purpose does a rigid ReadOnly binding
> serve?  This blows me out of the water.

Relax. This is related to Environments, yes. I made environments use
read-only bindings for classes, after a discussion here concluded that
it was the correct behaviour. (Can't find the thread, ATM though.) If
it's *not* the correct behaviour, it can be changed. If it's
preventing non-class globals from being altered, it's a bug, and can
be fixed. And even if neither of those things is true you can always
catch the exception and resume it:

[Array := nil]
   on: AttemptToWriteReadOnlyGlobal
   do: [:n | n resume: true]

> Shouldn't something like Environments be put in at the _beginning_
> rather than the end of a release cycle?

If we're at the end of a release cycle that's news to me. What's the schedule?

Colin