[squeak-dev] How to deprecate a package? (was: deprecate Universes?)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Jun 6 15:06:41 UTC 2012

On 06.06.2012, at 01:48, Chris Cunningham wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 3:05 PM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Good idea, please extract/remove it.
>>
>> What would you say the best way to remove an entire package from the
>> trunk?  Just remove it from the update.mcm and unload it as part of
>> the ReleaseBuilder script for the next release?
>>

> There should be a script that we could add to an update.mcm that would
> actually unload the package from the image.  Put this in Trunk, so
> that when you upgrade from Trunk, the package (Universes, ancient
> 'deprecated' packages, etc) are actually removed from our images.
>
> Then, if we want it back, we'll manually add it back into that specific image.
>
> (I like being able to just upgrade to the next version from Trunk -
> and not having to download a 'relese buildered' image later on.)
>
> -Chris

I would publish an update map without the removed package first.

Then, publish a new version of the Squeak-Version package with a version number increased by the deprecated package's last version number. This is to make our "system version" continuous.

If we want to unload the package automatically, that could be put into the preamble of the Squeak-Version package.

I'm not entirely sure that's generally a good idea though - deprecation usually has a grace period of at least one release cycle (deprecate in on release, remove in next). One distinguishing feature of Squeak is that we try not to break stuff.

In the specific case of Universes I can hardly imagine anyone actively using it, but still. I'm not violently opposed in this case, just cautious.

- Bert -