[squeak-dev] Re: OSProcess packages

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Jun 8 00:15:19 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 07, 2012 at 03:53:26PM -0700, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:
> That sounds like a lot of work to maintain. When you want to save new
> functionality, how do you save it as individual packages and then as one big
> package?

Yes, that's right. It's a real pain. In hindsight, I wish I had never split
the main OSProcess package into smaller pieces. But now that it's done, I
feel like I should keep it all up to date.

On the other hand, I did the same thing with CommandShell, and I think
it was the right choice in that case. I first split CommandShell out of
OSProcess (quite a long time ago), and then I split CommandShell into
CommmandShell-* packages that I maintain exactly as you describe above.
This should make it possible for most people to load the full CommandShell
package, but someone who only wants to use a PipableOSProcess can load a
subset.  I'm not sure if anyone is actually making use of this, but it does
seem like the right thing to do, even if it is a bit more work to maintain
the packages.

Conclusion: Modularity is like beer. Beer is good, but more beer is not
always better.

Dave