[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Kernel-fbs.697.mcz

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 19:56:50 UTC 2012

On 11 June 2012 20:35, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:

> On 2012-06-11, at 21:26, Frank Shearar wrote:

>>> This, too, is based on an old version. Kernel-nice.694 and Kernel-nice.695 are not merged.
>>>
>>> When you commit to trunk using Monticello, it should warn you about newer versions. Apparently you use a different method?
>>
>> Ah, I see now why "this, too". Er, I open my trunk (which I try to
>> keep as up to date as possible, but don't necessarily update
>> immediately prior to making my change - I'm usually offline at the
>> time), make my change, and when I have a network connection, copy the
>> snapshot to the inbox or trunk repository.
>>
>> I haven't seen any warnings though!
>>
>> frank
>

> When you commit something to trunk it should be based on the latest version in trunk. For the inbox it doesn't really matter.
>
> What I do is develop, and when it's ready, I update (which merges the latest), and commit.
>
> If you committed something that is not based on the latest, then you must merge the latest, and commit again.

Right. In short, my naive approach of committing snapshots doesn't
work. OK, so if I want to work in an offline manner, then either I:
* file out my changes in some manner until I'm online, update a clean
image, file in the changes and then commit, or
* save the mczs as before, update the (same) image, merge my mcz back
in, and push?

The first approach would result in the cleaner history, wouldn't it?

frank