Squeak.org starving... and what to do about it - if so. (was Re: [squeak-dev] Environments)

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Wed Jun 27 10:50:17 UTC 2012

On 06/27/2012 12:10 PM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On 27.06.2012, at 11:53, Göran Krampe wrote:
>> Hey!

>>> It just means that Squeak is a happier and friendlier place now.
>>>
>>> Taking tension out of the community was the only good outcome of the fork.
>>
>> Sure, but if it means we are slowly starving to death, it doesn't matter how friendly it is. ;)
>
> Being not as loud as others is hardly the same as starving. And being friendly does matter a lot. To us anyway ;)

I definitely agree with the friendly part. That is something I have
always been proud of - the friendliness of our community.

Nevertheless I am still worried that Squeak.org is being starved. It
would be interesting to hear views/ideas from the board (and others) on
this, and possible ways to adapt to it.

Earlier Seaside and web development has been a "driver" behind the
community - the fact that if you build web apps, it doesn't matter how
the backend "looks" (thus the UI of Squeak was of no importance).

These days I am unsure of Squeak's "place" in the world.

regards, Göran