[squeak-dev] Environment(s) serving web pages

Colin Putney colin at wiresong.com
Wed Jun 27 20:58:55 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 1:45 PM, Chris Cunnington <
smalltalktelevision at gmail.com> wrote:

Why would you do this? Perhaps to save resources like RAM. Instead of
> having a Unix process per user you have a Smalltalk process per user. Or
> users could share a common class side persistence. Or to have one VNC
> connection for several applications. Most likely, because you cannot resist
> trying it out.

Nice! This might also be useful for live updates to a web application.
Instead of loading code updates abruptly, as we do now, we could load the
new version of the app into a separate environment. New sessions would be
directed to the new environment, and existing sessions would continue to
use the old environment. Once all the sessions expire, the old environment
gets removed.

Colin