[squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] Project ideas for GSoC, 7 days left!

karl ramberg karlramberg at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 17:51:20 UTC 2012

Technical details: OpenQwaq support many video playback formats. Etoys
support a few quite odd formats and this hinders use of video with Etoys.
Formats such as H.264 is standard on the web and Etoys could playback and
post on for example YouTube.
Benefit for student: Work with underbelly of both the VM and image to
support good state of the art video playback / recording.
Benefit for community: We would be able to use and make videos from Etoys.
Many sites have great educational videos posted. Being able to annotate and
interact with this would make a great tool for students and teachers

platforms.
Technical details: The web browser plugin for Squeak was made quite a long
time ago and there are small issues with most platforms.
Benefif for student: Learn the platform specific code for many platforms
and their implementation.
Benefit for community: Better support for Etoys on all platforms.

Technical details: Image side changes to make Etoys image run on the CogVM.
Possibly some plugin support work on Cog also needed.
Benefif for student: Work with a high performance JIT and implement support
for this in the Etoys system.
Benefit for community: A faster execution would be nice for Etoys as it
often is run on smaller systems and a few more cycles would make GUI
response a nicer experience.

Karl