[squeak-dev] SM (was OCompletion in 4.3?)

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 14:49:42 UTC 2012

Thanks, those are good ideas. I figure an initial scrape of SqS could
stay current with its RSS.

A list of URL additions (i.e. LightsOut wants DavidLightsOut added to
the URL to produce http://www.squeaksource.com/DavidLightsOut ) would
allow a script to drain SqS sharpish. Actually... I just realized... no
project on SqS with less than a 1000 downloads need be acknowledged.
Hmm,  that makes working up a list of URL additions radically simpler.
Of 85 pages of projects there is an average of 5 projects +1000
downloads. That's a list of 425 projects to add to SM. Hmmm... maybe
I'll just do the initial list by hand.

SM needs to be reordered into three levels of visibility:

Installer script (one click access on the image GUI)
Packages
Archive (anything older than 4.1)

The user shouldn't know how to do anything but choose from a list and
press a button. Kabuntu and other efforts to manage dependencies are
both beyond me and a drag. The developer can write an Installer script,
which he pastes into a form field on the web site.

The image GUI needs to be trashed and remade around three levels of
visibility. At the moment levels two and three are mashed together
confusingly.

And I could add a video on the home page (below the Google search pane)
explaining levels of visibility and how to release.

I kind of like this idea. I may do it regardless.

Chris