[squeak-dev] SM (was OCompletion in 4.3?)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Mar 6 20:32:53 UTC 2012

On 06.03.2012, at 21:13, Göran Krampe wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> On 03/06/2012 11:27 AM, Frank Shearar wrote:

>>> One option would be to to write a robot which regularily visits
>>> SqueakSource and other repositories and then use a screen scraper to
>>> extract the data and feed it into SqueakMap.
>>>
>>> -- Hannes
>>
>> While we're scraping things, a lot of folk (myself included) are
>> either mirroring their packages on ss3.gemstone.com, or simply
>> abandoning ss for ss3.
>>
>> Also, the ss3 folk might be amenable to exposing an introspection API,
>> or adding RESTful URLs?
>
> I don't want to stifle any effort (*any* effort is good IMHO) but I think that the upcoming SmalltalkHub (that Nicolas is working on, and possibly with a bit of help from me if I ever get free time to spend) will offer a compelling new platform for all of SS and SM etc.
>
> It would give all our communities (Squeak, Pharo and others) a chance to converge in a single much more powerful and fresh platform.
>
> regards, Göran

Many squeaksource urls are still in use. Squeaksource3 is similar enough to squeaksource so we can keep things working. The plan is to migrate everything from squeaksource to squeaksource3 and then just switch the url to point to the new ss3 server.

SmalltalkHub may become the first choice for new projects, when it is finished. For now, squeaksource3 is a fine successor to squeaksource that will be more stable but otherwise pretty similar.

- Bert -