[squeak-dev] GSoC idea: Improving the GSoC website

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Sat Mar 10 18:51:18 UTC 2012

Hi guys,

To help the GSoC admins but also mentors and students, maybe this would
be a good project to do. Would someone help being a second mentor?

Improving the GSoC website
--------------------------
Level: Intermediate
Possible mentor: Janko Mivšek
Possible second mentor:

Description

Our special website for Smalltalk GSoC (http://gsoc2012.esug.org and
more complete past http://gsoc2010.esug.org) has a public and
administration part to help running the annual GSoC process smoothly. It
helps students, mentors and administrators in all phases, from
collection of ideas, preparing the projects, inviting the students,
pairing them with the projects, voting, running the projects with the
interim and final evaluation. This project is meant to improve both
public and administration part of the website to ease the work for
everyone and to upgrade it to the most modern web technologies.

Technical details

Possible improvements: Facebook like timelime of personal page adding
realtime updates (using WebSockets), notifications by email, more HTML5
support, improving the administration interface, collection of project
ideas by proposers directly, integration with the Google GSoC site and
mentors and students mailing list, REST API, mobile app, ...

Benefit for the Student

Getting in touch with current bleeding edge of the Smalltalk web
technologies with Aida/Web framework (http://www.aidaweb.si) and Amber
Smalltalk (http://amber-lang.net). Contributing to the community with
valuable and immediately useful work.

Benefit for the Community

Well and easier run GSoC process, with a good website, up-to date with
modern web technologies, is important for us to improve our visibility
and have a showcase of our strengths on the web field to the broader
open source community.

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web