[squeak-dev] filesize reporting 0 for very large files

Hans-Martin Mosner hmm at heeg.de
Sun Mar 18 18:28:11 UTC 2012

Am 18.03.2012 17:32, schrieb Bert Freudenberg:
> On 18.03.2012, at 17:10, Chris Muller wrote:
>
>> Does a 32-bit VM mean that no individual primitives can have an
>> argument or return value greater than 32 bits?
> No. It just means that any OOP is 32 bits wide. The file size primitive returns a LargeInteger instance, but its OOP will be a 32 bit pointer.
>
>>  File-size is something
>> that, in 2012 with HD video recording devices, can very easily exceed
>> 32-bits so it would seem to be overkill for ALL objects to have to be
>> larger than 32 bits (as in a 64-bit VM) just for this one primitive..
>
> As Andreas wrote, it works fine on Windows in a 32 bit VM. The problem must be in your platform's support code.
>
> - Bert -

The problem is in the linux support code.
I've reported it in Mantis quite some time ago: http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7522 but I don't have an easy
solution because it seemed to affect several places (including platform-independent code IIRC) so I hoped that soem VM
maintainer would have a look at it.

Cheers,
Hans-Martin