Squeak on iPad (was Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Etoys 5.0 RC 2)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Mar 29 12:24:30 UTC 2012

On 29.03.2012, at 14:10, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> On 3/29/12 8:41 AM, "Bert Freudenberg" <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
>
>> There has never been an official Squeakland release with the eToyFriendly
>> preference in the flap. I only put that into the experimental touch test and
>> iPad versions.
>
> Off  course, remember now I got this and put and my old iPad.
> What is the state of Squeak into iPad ?

It works, although there are rough edges. But Esteban has got Eliot's Stack VM to run, so everything is even a bit faster now.

OTOH to make a high-quality iPad/iPhone app you would need to do what John did and make a native interface. Morphic just doesn't cut it (unless someone would make Morphic use Core Animation layered rendering).

And the current Squeak interface is made for a mouse. There would have to be a serious UI redesign to make a nice touch-based Smalltalk development environment.

Designing a touch-friendly UI may be a bit easier for Etoys, but it too would need a lot of UI changes. Which is the reason why we haven't pushed much in that direction yet.

> See activity in Pharo about this and believe Hilarie have his DrGeo as app

Yes, Esteban and I have been working with Hilaire on this (and with Dimitry for Android tablets):

	http://www.drgeo.eu/home/dr-geo-news

- Bert -