[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Morphic-cmm.606.mcz

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Mar 31 17:52:30 UTC 2012

On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 11:16:18AM -0500, Chris Muller wrote:

> > As far as I am concerned, this change would completely break my code. I am
> > strongly opposed to it.
>
> Ok that's fine.  The way it is now breaks my code, so perhaps a
> preference can resolve our differences.

Eeek! Please avoid adding another preference if at all possible. If
different behavior is needed, surely there must be some way to achieve
it without breaking backward compatibility. Preferences are great for
tailoring look and feel and such, but not for specifying fundamental
behavior that affects various subsystems in different ways.

question: "why is my foo window acting wierd?"
answer: "it must by the freeble preference, try setting it the other way"
question: "ok, foo is working now, but what's up this other window, it's acting wierd now"
answer: "oh yes of course, you should set freeble back the other way if you want to do that"
question: "huh?!?"

Dave