[squeak-dev] The Trunk: System-ul.477.mcz

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 18:34:33 UTC 2012

Hi Edgar,

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 5:51 AM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>wrote:

> On 30.03.2012, at 13:39, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

I just wanted to second what Bert is saying. Images are wonderful because
one can tailor them, but they can become a prison from which your code can
never escape, and from which you can never move forward, *unless* they can
be updated automatically.  Note that the Monticello update process does a
merge by default so you can even update modified packages to a certain
degree.  So keeping the update process working is *really, really* valuable
and hence *really* worth the effort.

If (as we should) we all have our own tailored images then we can't expect
anyone else to use our images, because we would be inflicting our tailoring
on them and asking them to give up the tailoring they had done.  We all
have to be free to tailor in our own way.  So forcing people to download a
non-release image to update code is simply unacceptable.

Courage, and thanks so much for your efforts!
--
best,
Eliot