Re: [squeak-dev] Squeak Oversight Board minutes – 5/01/12

Casimiro de Almeida Barreto casimiro.barreto at gmail.com
Thu May 3 15:13:25 UTC 2012

On 02-05-2012 09:57, Chris Cunnington wrote:
> Squeak Oversight Board minutes – 5/01/12
>
> Attending: Chris Muller, Colin Putney, Levente Uzonyi, Chris
> Cunnington, Bert Freudenberg, Craig Latta
>
> - the SOB meeting time is being changed tentatively to 1st and 3rd
> Mondays noon in Los Angeles, so the next meeting is at May 7, 12pm
> L.A., Calif. time
>
> - Colin is talking to Joyent [1] in Vancouver about hosting. They are
> a large supporter of node.js
>
> - Colin is compiling Cog for Illumos (a branch of Solaris) [2]
It would be interesting to have a x86_64 version of Cog running in all
supported platforms (windowze, OS X, Linux, iOS, etc). i686 architecture
is not well supported in newer versions of many OSes, particularly
mixing i686 and x86_64 in Linux is kind of hell. Besides, it makes no
sense to have only the old 32bit image and it would be good to have a
64bit one (addressing, etc) though it would demand changes in VMs. The
last 64bit image I was able to mine dates from 2010.
> - It was agreed that the a transition from our current server to a new
> server is required, as the current server hardware cannot run Cog
> (it's an old AMD Athlon without SSE2)
>
> - We discussed Squeak’s market position. Ideas around it being a
> “flexible platform” and how it gives a user “complete control” were
> emphasized. Squeak has been the point of departure for many innovative
> projects: RoarVM, Scratch, Croquet, Pharo, Etoys
Market position depends on lots of things. I guess that although more
than 10 years old, squeak is not mature enough for market. Important
things like defining what is central to distribution image and what is
not, establishing standards for things that are central to distribution
image, documenting things, enhancing interfaces with OSes, etc.