[Pharo-project] [squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] STON - Smalltalk Object Notation

Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at beta9.be
Sat May 5 13:58:05 UTC 2012

Hi Hannes,

On 05 May 2012, at 11:53, H. Hirzel wrote:

> Thank you Sven for your follow up of the recent JSON/STON/Tirade
> discussion by providing an STON implementation for Squeak 4.3 and
> working with Dale to get it to other Smalltalks (github). [1]
>
> I think your STON implementation will be very useful for my work. It
> works fine in Squeak 4.3 updated to the latest change [2].

Thanks for the feedback and the encouragement.

> There is a class STON used as a singleton. I assume this is the
> equivalent of the JSON object in web browsers, right?

I am afraid I am not familiar enough with how JSON is handled in Javascript/Webbrowsers, so I cannot compare.

But the STON object in the current implementation is a class facade API to read/write to/from streams/strings while hiding the actual parser or writer classes. It is a central access point, but it is very thin: using STONReader or STONWriter directly is perfectly OK too. Maybe I should add some invocation examples to the paper to explain the API.

Sven

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe
http://stfx.eu