[squeak-dev] Re: A comparative article (was STON - Smalltalk Object Notation)

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Tue May 8 09:31:11 UTC 2012

Hey!

On 05/08/2012 10:05 AM, Janko Mivšek wrote:
> Hi Göran,
>
> One quick note: STON has more chance to be adopted than Tirade simply
> because of the name. STON is closer to JSON in people's mind, while
> Tirade, what that means?

Do note that IMHO Tirade does not really compete with STON/JSON. As I
think I wrote in the article I tend to think JSON trumphs STON but that
Tirade may be more powerful and interesting in some Smalltalk specific
cases.

> For me it sounds something tyran-like , pretty
> non-attractive therefore. And because most of us don't have time to go
> to details, such outside things like name matters. We are also more and
> more choosing things based on their perception and not reality.  More on
> their outside form than on their real value.

Hmmm, I don't think I agree that the name is all that important for this
kind of highly *technical* packages.

STON is closer to JSON which is good since it basically is a true
superset and tries to fill the exact same niche.

But I agree, for "high profile" packages naming is important - like I
convinced Nicolas to rename JTalk to something nicer.

Tirade was just a funny name based on the "cascade" nature of the format:

"a long angry speech or scolding. Synonyms: diatribe, harangue, rant"

I mean, don't people have a sense of humor? :)

> So, to have bigger adoption rate we need to take care about naming
> things as well.

Hehe, well... I am sorry Janko, I don't think Tirade is such a bad name
and I don't think it would be worth renaming either.

Any other more technical thoughts/comments?

regards, Göran