[squeak-dev] Curly Braces history (was Re: A comparative article)

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Thu May 10 14:10:13 UTC 2012

On 10 May 2012 14:12, H. Hirzel <hannes.hirzel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the link Bert,
>
> <citation>
> David N. Smith wrote:
> Curly braces are currently used in Squeak to construct
> runtime-evaluated collections
> </citation>.
>
> The question is -- is there some more documentation than just some
> clippings from an email correspondence.
>
> If I understand you correctly people 'forgot' to take them out and so
> this syntax stayed.
>
> Is it used much?

I use {} syntax all the time: just this morning I wrote {x. y. z.}
instead of Array with: x with: y with: z.

As someone who also uses Ruby and Python, I understand people's desire
to change the syntax because both those languages use {}s to indicate
a (runtime evaluated) _dictionary_. As someone who uses {} a lot, I
don't particularly want to rewrite all my code to support the New
Approved Way, but I guess I'd bite the bullet if I had to. But then I
do want a replacement for {}.

frank